Since I’ve been writing like a fiend for almost two months now and completed a new novel in the Ivory Razor Adventure Series and am nearly ten thousand words into another, my book sales have taken quite a hit.
If you’re anything like me, your characters mean a lot to you and except for not actually living and breathing in the real world, they are as real as fictional beings can get…to you and your readers.
Even if you are just beginning to mold and shape your characters, asking them questions may help you find out things about them you hadn’t even imagined yet.
I was searching around tonight for interesting ways to attract readers to my books and I found a few interesting articles on creating or borrowing questionnaires you can use to interview the characters in your books.
You don’t want to give too much away in these questionnaires, so you’ll have to pick and choose questions that your sometimes wayward characters won’t answer with spoilers or be forced to answer, “no comment.”
Here is an interesting list I found. It was out there for public consumption so have at it and by all means, have fun with it!
This questionnaire was invented by the noted French author Marcel Proust. These questions are frequently used in interviews so you may pretend you’re interviewing your characters.
- What do you consider your greatest achievement?
- What is your idea of perfect happiness?
- What is your current state of mind?
- What is your favorite occupation?
- What is your most treasured possession?
- What or who is the greatest love of your life?
- What is your favorite journey?
- What is your most marked characteristic?
- When and where were you the happiest?
- What is it that you most dislike?
- What is your greatest fear?
- What is your greatest extravagance?
- Which living person do you most despise?
- What is your greatest regret?
- Which talent would you most like to have?
- Where would you like to live?
- What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
- What is the quality you most like in a man?
- What is the quality you most like in a woman?
- What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
- What is the trait you most deplore in others?
- What do you most value in your friends?
- Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
- Whose are your heroes in real life?
- Which living person do you most admire?
- What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
- On what occasions do you lie?
- Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- What are your favorite names?
- How would you like to die?
- If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?
- What is your motto?