My First Character interview for the series will be with Teagan Whelan, one of the main characters from “Fireflies.”
I’m really shocked that I was able to get her to sit down and answer fifty questions tonight but she was very interested in sharing.
1. What is your name?
Teagan Brianne Whelan
2. Why were you given that name?
You’d have to ask my Ma and Da. I have no idea.
3. Is there a nickname you’re known by? Do you prefer it?
They sometimes call me Teag for short but that isn’t really a nickname.
4. What is your birth date and current age?
I was born on October 12, 1865 and I’m currently eighteen years old.
5. What, if anything does your zodiac sign mean to you?
6. What is your height, weight and build?
I’m shorter than Liffey and taller than Patrick which means I’m about five feet two. I’m about average size for a girl my age though some think me a bit thin.
7. What is your hair color and style, eye color, and skin tone?
My hair is black like my Ma’s, my eyes are blue and I’ve a peachy complexion…with a few freckles here and there. My hair style is simple; up during the day and down in a braid at night.
8. Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings? What do they mean to you?
No, no scars. The other things you asked I have no idea of.
9. How much pride do you take in your appearance?
Ha! As if I care! Well, I certainly didn’t care at all when I was younger but of course now I’m in medical school so I try to keep myself looking presentable. Of course Eli couldn’t give a care one way or the other. He fell for me whilst I was wearing my brother’s hand me downs.
10. How do you feel about your appearance? Favorite / most hated features?
What difference does it make after all as long as I can save your life?
11. What is your preferred style of clothing to wear?
Breeches, suspenders, boots and my hat.
12. Who are your parents?
Dr. Owen Whelan and Sarah Whelan.
13. Do you have any siblings?
I was afraid you’d ask me this. Yes: Liffey, Patrick, Brogan, Connell, Fagan and Ennis.
14. Who has been your greatest influence (parent, friend, idol)? Why?
Definitely my Da. He’s a wonderful doctor and watching him is what led me to want to be one too.
15. Where did you grow up? How do you feel about it now?
In a small town in Pennsylvania. I loved growing up there with so much space.
16. Where do you currently live (town, neighborhood, locale)? Do you like it?
At the moment, I’m living with my Aunt Kathryn in my Da’s old house in Center City, Philadelphia. I’m attending the University here.
17. What sort of a home is it (castle, apartment, cardboard box)?
It’s a small but beautiful mansion.
18. With whom do you live? How do you feel about that person / people?
I live with my Aunt Kathryn Doyle and she’s wonderful. She’s getting on in age now but I’d still prefer a chat with her than anyone my own age—besides Eli that is.
19. Do you have any pets?
No but Aunt Kathryn has dogs.
20. What is your current job title / social station / rank?
21. How do you feel about this role?
I was born to play it.
22. How do you think your colleagues would describe you?
Ha! Talkative, boisterous and dedicated I hope.
23. What has been your education / training for this role?
My Da mentored me back home.
24. What is your ultimate professional or life goal?
Just to be a great doctor and help people. That’s all I’ve ever wanted to do.
25. Who is your best friend? Describe them briefly.
That would be Eli. He started out my best friend and he always will be, although, I share just about everything with my sister Liffey as well.
26. How would you spend an unexpected day off?
27. What sort of vehicle / transportation do you rely on?
We have a carriage but on nice days, I prefer to walk like my Da used to.
28. What is your favorite or most dreaded holiday? Why?
My favorite would be Christmas. That’s when we can go home and visit with the family. I don’t have a dreaded holiday.
29. Is your family currently close? Are they a source of support or stress?
Our family is extremely close. We’ll do anything for each other.
30. What is your relationship status at the start of the story?
I’m a young girl. My relationships are my family and my best friend Eli Morgan. We’ve been best friends since we were babes.
31. How do you feel about money?
We need it I know but honestly, some people worry far too much about it.
32. How would you treat yourself if you came down with the flu?
Plenty of fluids and bed rest is all one can do—and pray.
33. What is your most cherished possession?
My medical books.
34. How do you feel about being the center of attention?
Since I have a tendency to talk quite a bit, I suppose I like it.
35. What makes you blush?
Compliments I suppose.
36. How do you feel about romance at the start of the story?
Well, at least from my perspective there was no romance but I soon found out about it and it was lovely.
37. How do you feel about children? Do you have / want to have your own?
Someday I’ll have them but for now, I need to focus on my studies.
38. What would you like your life to look like in twenty years?
I’d like my own medical practice either in Philadelphia or back home. I’ve always dreamed of working side by side with my Da and my brother Connell.
39. What crisis are you facing at the start of the story?
I suspect my little brother Ennis is hiding something and I have to get to bottom of it. Little did I know I would end up right in the middle of it.
40. What makes this crisis such a challenge for you in particular?
Who wants to believe their little brother is touched in some way? Fortunately, I found out he was touched but not in the way I originally thought.
41. What would you never do, no matter the price?
I could never betray or hurt anyone.
42. What do you believe happens when you die?
Based solely on my own experience, I’d say you go somewhere lovely, like Heaven.
43. What makes your blood boil?
Injustice of any kind and when people won’t listen to what I have to say.
44. What was your first impression of the hero(ine)?
I love him. He’s my baby brother. He did get on my nerves quite a bit at first but then, when I understood him, we bonded in such a way that all I wanted to do was protect him.
45. What revelation surprised you most about him/her?
That he could heal the sick. He’s a miracle.
46. What defining adjective would you use to describe him/her?
As I said, he’s a miracle.
47. What was the most defining moment of your life at the start of the story?
Realizing what Ennis had done when he healed me. I didn’t want to admit or accept it but I couldn’t deny it. It was then I knew I had to protect him.
48. How would you define the word ‘love’?
Family. Love is when you care more for someone else than for yourself.
49. How have you evolved by the end of the story?
I’ve achieved my dream and fallen in love. I’d say that’s evolution.
50. Why should the reader care about your story?
Because I’m a trailblazer. I wouldn’t allow anything to stand in the way of my becoming a doctor. I refused to live out some traditional role that I knew I’d never be happy in. I faced quite a few obstacles but thank goodness I wouldn’t take no or maybe for answers. Doing this was not an easy feat in 1883.